In view of the most recent changes in advice/restrictions to the general population, the board of the Belgian Study Group of MS (BSGMS) strengthens its advice to neurologists regarding the treatment of MS patients.
Therefore, following recommendations apply:
1. The preventive measures provided to the general population (https://www.info-coronavirus.be/nl/ or https://www.info-coronavirus.be/fr/) do apply even more to patients with MS, especially when treated with disease modifying drugs.
2. In patients with MS treated with disease modifying drugs it is recommended:
– Interferon-beta (Avonex, Betaferon, Rebif), glatiramer acetate (Copaxone), teriflunomide (Aubagio),dimethyl fumarate (Tecfidera), fingolimod (Gilenya), natalizumab (Tysabri): treatment to be continued
– Ocrelizumab (Ocrevus), cladribine (Mavenclad), alemtuzumab (Lemtrada), rituximab (Mabthera): start or redosing of treatment to be postponed if the disease severity/activity of the patient allows
3. Persons with MS who are treated with disease modifying drugs and are infected with Covid-19: to stop the ongoing treatment until recovery.
On behalf of the BSGMS board